Skip to main content
Leaving EuropeJob opportunitiesAustria

Job Opportunities



Working in another EU country

EU rules on the free movement of labour mean that all EU citizens are entitled to work and live in any EU country. An Austrian citizen moving to an EU country or to an EEA (European Economic Area) country (Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein) is not required to have a visa or a work permit. For more information, go to the European Commission website.

If you expect to work abroad for less than three months, there are no formalities involved. However, authorities in the country of destination may require that you report to them.


If you plan to stay in another EU country for longer than three months, you must report to the authorities in that country to receive confirmation of your residence permit immediately after entering the country. You will need to present a valid personal identity card or passport and a certificate of employment issued by your employer.

The EC’s Your Europe web pages are another valuable source of information about moving to EU countries.


Working in a non-EU country

If you are an Austrian citizen and want to work in research outside the EU or EEA countries, contact the representatives of your country of destination in Austria. In most cases you will need a visa and work permit to work in a non-EU country, but practices vary from country to country.

For contact information, go to Federal Ministry for Europe, Integration and Foreign Affairs.