Dual Career Services in Austria
The "Dual Career Service" supports partners and families of international key employees who are moving to Austria to pursue a professional career at a university or research organisation in Austria. Assistance is provided in particular in the area of job search for the partner. For detailed information on Dual Career Service please refer to the persons in charge at your institution.
There are several regional Dual Career Service networks and special services for partners at Austrian universities and research institutions available:
• Five Styrian and one Carinthian universities have set up a common network to create synergies for optimal use. Further information can be found at: Dual Career Service Styria - Carinthia
• Dual Career Service Vienna - Lower Austria - Upper Austria supports dual career couples in Vienna, Lower Austria and Upper Austria. Here you can find a video about the Dual Career Services Vienna - Lower Austria - Upper Austria.
• The main purpose of the Dual Career Service Support is the networking of member organisations from the research and scientific domain in the greater area of Vienna to improve the support for dual career couples. The target group for counselling are the partners of recent (or ongoing) senior research staff appointments of member organisations. This service takes place in close coordination with the Dual Career Service Vienna - Lower Austria - Upper Austria.
• The three universities in the middle and western provinces of Austria established the Dual Career Service Network Upper Austria – Salzburg – Tyrol (DC OOE-S-T) in 2017. The network is informal without a separate organizational structure, flexible in its approaches, fast in reacting to requests and open for new members (currently 6 members) who need to sign a letter of intent specifying the rights and duties of membership.
• IST (Institute for Science and Technology) Austria offers individualized job search information and assistance to spouses and partners of newly appointed scientists and employees.
An analysis of Dual Career and Integration Services
Euraxess Austria was partner in the EU project EURAXESS TOP III "Making European research careers more attractive by developing new services and enhancing the current services of the EURAXESS network", Task "Career Management: The experienced researcher” (2015-2018, Gr No: 665934), funded by the EC under the Horizon 2020 programme under the task lead of the University of Copenhagen (UCPH).
The information gathered in a report has been submitted by a Dual Career and Integration Services Expert Group, encompassing of representatives from European institutions and universities from six countries; Austria, Germany, Denmark, The Netherlands, Norway, and Switzerland.
The goal of this report is to analyse and map the landscape of DCIS in the six countries as well as exchange knowledge of best practice examples in order to develop and improve the services based on the needs of each institution. The final outcome of the report presents the expert group’s findings, as well as recommendations bearing in mind the national and local context.
The report "An analysis of Dual Career and Integration Services" can be downloaded here or in the EURAXESS Extranet (for EURAXESS members only). For any further information please contact: Maria Unger, OeAD, email@example.com.
Researchers' Career Grants
offered by the Austrian Research Promotion Agency (FFG)
The funding comprises interview grants, relocation grants and dual career grants for researchers from abroad who want to start or continue their career in Austria.
Dual career grants support activities to integrate partners into the Austrian job market (career advice, language courses, trainings etc.).
Literature about Dual Career Service
Es ist Zeit Fragen zu stellen: Dual Career Förderungen um jeden Preis? (Forschung & Lehre, Heft 7/2019; in German only)
Gutes Gefuehl (149.42 KB) (eco.nova Das Wirtschaftsmagazin Ausgabe 13/Jänner 2019 S. 88f; in German only)
Dual Career im Dilemma? (Forschung & Lehre, 25. Jahrgang, Heft 7/18, S. 604f.; in German only)
Karriere im Doppelpack (OeAD News, page 31, June 2018; in German only)
Dual Career - Ihr kriegt uns nur als Paar (Die Zeit, March 2017; in German only)
Hier gibt es einen Überblick über die kommenden Jobmessen und Karriereveranstaltungen der einzelnen österreichischen Career Center.
Mentoring für Migrant/innen
Ziel des Programms ist die Unterstützung der Arbeitsmarkteingliederung von qualifizierten Personen mit Migrationshintergrund und gleichzeitig die Förderung der Internationalisierung der österreichischen Betriebe.
Kompetenzatlas der FHWien der WKW
Der interaktive Kompetenzatlas ist eine Lehr- und Lernunterlage zur Vermittlung von Managementkompetenzen.
MYSKILLS - Berufliche Kompetenzen erkennen
Im Berufsleben spielen Fachkenntnisse, Fertigkeiten, Vorerfahrungen und Kompetenzen eine wichtige Rolle. Der computergestützte Test MYSKILLS der Bundesagentur für Arbeit (BA), der in Kooperation mit der Bertelsmann Stiftung entwickelt wurde, hilft dabei, berufliches Handlungswissen sichtbar zu machen.