Skip to main content
Living in EuropeHealth insuranceAustria

Health and accident insurance

Social insurance in Austria is compulsory and mainly financed by contributions. It follows the principle of solidarity which basically means equal benefits for all people insured.

If you are employed or self-employed you are covered by health insurance. If you are employed, your employer is responsible for registering you with the competent social insurance carrier (BVA, ÖGK). If you are self-employed, "newly" self-employed or receive minimum income, you typically have to register with and pay for health insurance yourself (SVA), unless you are already covered by health insurance due to a gainful occupation.

Once you are registered you will receive an e-card with your personal data (name, insurance number, etc.). The back of the card corresponds to the European social security card. The card ensures free of charge medical treatment in the EU countries as well as EEA (European economic area) countries, Switzerland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Republic of Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia. Health insurance covers free treatment by doctors who have contracts with your social security carrier (SV) and hospitals. (“Alle Kassen” refers to doctors having concluded contracts with all insurance carriers). There are also private doctors whose services are not covered by the social insurance system and have to be paid for. Possibly part of the corresponding costs may be reimbursed via your social insurance carrier.

Family members can be co-insured, provided they are resident in Austria and not themselves subject to compulsory health insurance. Minors up to 18 years of age are co-insured, minors (children/grandchildren) attending schools or vocational training or university can be co-insured free of charge up to 27 years of age. Spouses with children can be co-insured free of charge, co-insurance of spouses without children entails an additional contribution.

The website offers you information about the e-card with photo in many languages. With the Instant Photo Check, you and your researchers can check online whether they need to bring a photo themselves. All registration offices and the documents to be brought along are also listed on the website.

Accident insurance covers benefits payable as a result of workplace accidents, occupational illnesses and the accidental death of an employee. These benefits include for instance accident treatment costs, rehabilitation, reimbursements, surviving dependants´ benefits (e.g. widow’s/widower’s pension).

For personal assistance in the field of social security please contact the EURAXESS