Daily life

Living in Europe | Access to the culture of the host country/language courses | Austria

For the most comprehensive information source on life and working in Austria please check: oesterreich.gv.at


Validity of Foreign Driving Licences

Driving Licence © Pixelio | Hermsdorf

Driving Licences

* From an EU or EEA state: for an unlimited period (EEA or EU driving licences are recognized in Austria, and may be converted at any time on a voluntary basis.)


* From a non-EU or non-EEA state:

In case of establishing a residence in Austria: six months starting from establishment of the residence, if the owner has reached the age of 18

Without residence in Austria: up to twelve months starting from the entry in the county, if the owner has reached the age of 18


Please note: If the foreign driving licence is not written in German, it is only valid in combination with an international driving licence or a translation.

Important: Foreign drivers who commit three recordable offences (Vormerkdelikte; in German only) will be banned from driving in Austria.


Further information:

Conversion of a Foreign Driving Licence (in German only)

System for Recording Driving Offences (Demerit Points System; in German only)

Additional information can be found at oesterreich.gv.at (in German only)




Culture and Leisure © Pixelio | Gerhardt

Culture and Leisure

For information on culture and leisure please check:

Culture information (AEIOU)





Other useful links:

Austrian Train Schedules

Austrian Postal Codes

Austrian Phone Directory