Entry conditions and visas
To be able to plan a study or research period in Austria in an ideal way we recommend you to contact the desired study or research institutions approximately one year prior to your planned stay in Austria. In this way the content and duration of your stay – which is also important for the selection of the appropriate visa/residence title – can be specified.
The Austrian Agency for International Cooperation in Education and Research (OeAD) has compiled a database in order to help you find the right visa or residence title. Please note, however, that the search results are general information that may not replace the possible need for detailed legal advice in individual cases. Despite all care in the design of the database the OeAD does not assume any liability for the accuracy, completeness and topicality of the search results. When linking to other websites we do not assume any liability/guarantee for their contents.
Please start your query here:
Different regulations apply to OeAD scholarship holders; more detailed information can be found here. We assume no liability/guarantee for the content of other websites we are linking to.
To ensure that the results are as accurate as possible we recommend that you always perform a query of the entry and residence database. If, however, you are looking for specific information about a specific type of stay, you will find selected results pages here:
• Confirmation of Registration for Students: EU/EEA/Swiss nationals
• Confirmation of Registration for Researchers: EU/EEA/Swiss nationals
• Visa for Students: Stays for up to 6 months
• Visa for Researchers: Stays for up to 6 months
• Residence Permit – Student: Admission to studies at a higher education institution
• Settlement Permit – Researcher: Scientific research at a certain level for an Austrian research institution with Hosting Agreement
• Settlement Permit – Special Cases of Gainful Employment: Scientific research and teaching in Austria without a Hosting Agreement
• Residence Permit – Special Cases of Gainful Employment: Participation in specific academic exchange programmes or EU education and research programmes
• Red-White-Red Card: Temporary settlement and employment with a specific employer
• Blue Card EU: Temporary settlement and employment with a specific employer for particularly highly qualified academics
For personal assistance please contact the EURAXESS Centre OeAD: email@example.com
Austrian Agency for International Cooperation in Education & Research (OeAD): Entry and Residence Regulations (with downloads of all application forms and addresses of the competent Austrian authorities)
Austrian Government Help-Service for Foreign Citizens (general information)
For basic information targeting researchers please check: Guide to Residence and Employment of International Researchers (the Guide is currently being revised)
The Austrian Foreign Ministry:
The Federal Ministry of the Interior:
EU Rights Clinic: www.citizenhouse.eu