Text version


Visa, entry and residency permits for researchers

Researchers with the nationality of EU/EEA
countries and Switzerland
do not need a visa
and they enjoy freedom of domicile
(Niederlassungsfreiheit). For entry into Austria
and residence they only need a valid travel
document (passport or identity card). If the
researcher stays in Austria for longer than 
three months he has to register with the competent
immigration authority (Landeshauptmann; Magistrat, Bezirkshauptmannschaft) within the first three months of his stay. He will receive a confirmation of registration (Anmeldebescheinigung) which costs EUR 15 (additional fees may occur).

Researchers with the nationality of other countries ("third countries") need

• for a stay up to a maximum of six months a residence visa D (Aufenthaltsvisum D) which has to be applied at the competent Austrian representation (embassies and career consulates) before leaving for Austria. This visa cannot be renewed in Austria. After entry with a visa you cannot apply for a residence permit except you would have been allowed to enter Austria without a visa (in this case the application must be submitted within the first three months of your stay) or if you apply for a residence permit "researcher" with a hosting agreement.

• for a stay for longer than six months

o after concluding a hosting agreement (Aufnahmevereinbarung) with a (certified) research institution: a residence permit "researcher" (Aufenthaltsbewilligung Forscher).

o without a hosting agreement: a residence permit "special cases of gainful employment" (Aufenthaltsbewilligung Sonderfälle unselbständiger Erwerbstätiger).

o if the requirements are met a "Red-White-Red - Card" ("Rot-Weiß-Rot - Karte")


o "Blue Card EU" (Blaue Karte EU) can be applied for.

First-time residence permits have to be applied for at the competent Austrian representation before leaving for Austria. In these cases the decision has to be awaited in one's home country (2-3 months). Alternatively researchers who are allowed to enter Austria without a visa or who have concluded a hosting agreement with the Austrian research institution may apply for the residence permit at the competent Austrian authority (Landeshauptmann; Magistrat, Bezirkshauptmannschaft) after arriving in Austria.

A fee of EUR 120 is payable for the residence permit (additional fees may occur).

Every national has to register with the "Registration office" (Meldeamt) in his place of residence within three working days of entry into Austria.

Family members

Family members (spouse, registered partnership, children up to the age of 21, or in case that their parents actually pay for their substistenc, also beyond the age of 21) have each to appy for residence permit "Family", (Aufenthaltsbewilligung "Familiengemeinschaft") for entry to Austria.  


Austrian representations - The Austrian Foreign Ministry

Entry and Residence Regulations (with downloads of all application forms and addresses of the competent Austrian authorities) - Austrian Agency for International Cooperation in Education & Research (OeAD) 

Austrian Government Help-Service (General information):

Information for a stay up to a maximum of six months (Federal Ministry of Interior): www.bmi.gv.at/einreise

Information for a stay for more than six months (Federal Ministry of Interior): www.bmi.gv.at/niederlassung

Application forms for residence and settlement permits: www.bmi.gv.at/cms/BMI_Niederlassung/formulare/start.aspx

declaration of liability ("Haftungserklärung") (pdf) : www.bmi.gv.at/cms/BMI_Niederlassung/formulare/files/Haftungserklaerung.pdf

Information regarding visa - The Austrian Foreign Ministry: http://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/embassy/kuala-lumpur/practical-advice/your-travel-to-austria/visa-information.html

List indicating whether you need a visa - The Federal Ministry of Interior: www.bmi.gv.at/cms/BMI_Fremdenpolizei/visumspflichten/start.aspx

Application form for visa - The Austrian Foreign Ministry (pdf): http://www.bmeia.gv.at/fileadmin/user_upload/bmeia/media/5-Buergerservice_Zentrale/ReiseGrenzverkehr/Visa_application.pdf

EU Rights Clinic: www.citizenhouse.eu




Last Update: 2015-03-31